20 KMs from Kannur, near Thalasseri town on the national high way at Illikunnu : Dr; Herman Gundert ,the revered German Missionary, scholar,lexicographer lived in this bungalow for 20 years from 1839.It was here that one of the first malayalam dictionaries and the first malayalam newspaper took shape.
2 km. from Kannur Town, steeped in History; it was the Beebi (Queen) of Arakkal, Kerala's only Muslim Royal family that controlled parts of the coast and even Lakshadweep.
Thalassery British Fort
Tellicherry Fort is in Thalassery (Tellicherry) a town in Kannur District of Kerala state in south India. The British East India Company built the fort in 1708 to establish a stronghold on the Malabar Coast. In 1781 Hyder Ali, ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore, was unsuccessful in capturing the Fort in his campaign to control Malabar.
St. Angelo Fort - Kannur
This historical fort, built in 1505 AD by Sir Fancisco DeAlmeiyda, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India,, is situated near the sea coast about 2 KM away from Kannur town. This fort has a legendary past. Having witnessed several wars for seizing the control of the fort, the British flag flew over it finally in 1790. Now this fort is under the control of the Archaeological department. It attracts a large number of tourists.
Kannur’s long history has been dominated by the Kolathiri Raja’s based in Chirakkal and the Pazhassi Raja’s from Kottayam in Thallassery. History shows that Kannur has contributed a lot for the Folk arts of Kerala and today Kerala Folklore Academy at Kannur acts as the central hub for development of folklores and main objective being promotion of the traditional art forms of Kerala.
Give Us a Call
+91 4602 241665
Send Us an Email
Kattampally, Kannur-670 603,